We can help with all sorts of stickers and other printed products here at Brisbane Custom Signs. Most commonly, we use a variety of vinyl films that have pressure-sensitive adhesive on one side and is printed on the other.
Stickers can be used as bumper stickers for promoting a brand, message or campaign, used to decorate an office or car, or as signs on shop windows, for corporate signage, and many other purposes.
Here’s some basic terminology:
Stickers – the common term used to describe a wide variety of adhesive products – including bumper stickers, wall stickers, window stickers, and labels.
- Decals – this term is used to describe types of stickers. While there are mixed definitions out there, a decal is more commonly used to describe a type of sticker where the sticker is applied using application tape. An example of a decal may be die-cut lettering that is transferred onto a hard surface such as a window, wall, or car. Refer to the example of die-cut wall decal below.
- Kiss-cut – a shallow cut around the sticker that does not cut through the backing layer. For example, you could have a kiss-cut circular sticker that is provided on a square or rectangular backing sheet, but when you peel the sticker off, you peel off the circular sticker.
- Die-cut – similar to kiss-cut, but in this case the cut goes right through the stock including the backing sheet. By using this method you can produce custom stickers of different shapes, or produce lettering which can then be transferred onto another surface.
- Front-adhesive sticker – these are a special type of sticker, often used on windows, where the adhesive is applied on the same side as the printing. This means the sticker could be applied to the inside of a shop window and be visible from the outside.
Paper v Vinyl?
Stickers are generally either paper-based or vinyl. Most of the stickers we print are long-lasting vinyl stickers. Paper stickers generally have low water resistance but can be a cheap option for short term labels or stickers. Vinyl stickers are water-resistant and generally long lasting.
Sheets v Individually cut?
We can provide stickers on sheets (eg. A4 or other size) with individual stickers kiss-cut into the sheet. Individually cut stickers are cut to size. Individually cut stickers may still include a kiss-cut, especially when the sticker is not a rectangular shape.
How long do vinyl stickers last?
It is hard to give an exact length of time for the lifetime of a sticker as it can be affected by the type of stock used, the surface it is installed on, if the surface is clean, if the installation is done properly, sunlight exposure, water/rain exposure, and being exposed to bumps, scratches or people picking at it.
If you require really long lasting stickers, you can ask for a quote for UV bumper stickers or laminated 5 year+ wide format stickers, both of which are designed to last several years outdoors.
What different types of vinyl are there?
There are hundreds of different types of vinyl available – depending on the purpose of the product. When requesting a quote please let us know the purpose of the product so we can ensure the correct type of stock is used.
Some examples of different types of stock we commonly use:
- Long-lasting quality gloss vinyl is great all-rounder for bumper stickers, signage, window stickers.
- Specialty wall stock specially designed to adhere to most internal painted wall surfaces.
- One-way vision or perforated window stock is commonly used to create a visually appealing window display that you can still see through from the inside. This type of stock is also commonly used for vehicle rear-windows, bus window advertisements, etc.